Saturday, December 28, 2013

Texas, our Texas, oh hail the mighty state!

Actually, we aren't die hard Texans, Joel and I. After living in Hawaii and Utah, we would most definitely not choose Texas's geography, climate, or parts of Texas (southern, really) culture. But, especially for me, Texas is home. And because of that, it's deeply familiar and that's comforting and at many levels, beautiful. So, I enjoyed driving through the country roads from Lubbock to Austin, taking in the cattle and the windmill farms (amazing!) and the cotton fields. I smiled as I sat at a gas station and watched truck after truck pull in and run into the store for something, leaving their trucks running! 
Of course, the main thing is that our families are here. And that means love abounds. 
We are at my mama's house right now- full of character and creativity is what this home is. Oh, I just love it. The kids have a blast feeding the goats across the street, collecting rocks from the driveway, playing in the "cousins room" and just being with family. I'm afraid logistics of being a mama away from home sometimes makes it hard for me to fully soak in being with the family, you know (baby sleep disruptions, fussy afternoons with toddler, kids needing a bit more guidance without a rhythm to our days, etc)? Still, the opportunity for the kids to know and grow in their love for their fam is very, very worth it. Already, there have been such sweet moments. 


...and many more. Need to gather some pics from others. Love to guys! Jen 

No comments: